View Single Post
Old April 27, 2010, 09:56 PM   #31
Deaf Smith

Quote:
My opinion is just that. I am a Shorin Ryu Blackbelt and I also shoot in IPSC. I practice both at about the same level. I'm in the dojo 3 nights a week. I shoot about 600 rounds a week. If one wants to be proficient in either discipline they need to commit to that discipline. The only advantage to a firearm is that there is a fair likelihood that the firearm owner will have the overwhelming force. As to the manual martial art untrained vs. trained my money is on the trained. Highly trained karateka vs firearms, I'll take the firearm owner.....if the distance is greater than 21' (Tueller Drill). Of all the martial arts I've been exposed to I am truly impressed by Krav Maga. Fast accumulation of usable skills.
Excellent 1911. I made the martial arts and IDPA/IPSC my 'hobbies' about 30 years ago!

May I also suggest (if you are not already doing it) take up hip shooting (didn't say point shooting, just hip shooting, a sort of sub set.) That way, you can use your gun at very close ranges quite fast. Draw and shoot just about as fast as a punch.

Page generated in 0.04380 seconds with 8 queries