View Single Post
Old November 6, 2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Boo586

Neck Sizing .357 magnum cases

Just got a good pair of calipers for my birthday, thanks to my father-in-law. I was just spending my lunch at home measuring some resized cases and some unresized fired cases. The resized cases measure 0.372 inches in diameter. Some .38 special cases measure 0.375 inches and some once fired .357 magnum brass measures 0.381. The chambers of my revolver measure about 0.382 inches to best of my ability. After I mesured these I chambered each one of the cases one at a time to see how the cases fit in the chambers. The resized case and the .38 special case moved around in the chamber a lot, while the once fired magnum brass fit snug but did not have to be forced into the chambers.

Using the unsized cases should keep my pressures lower and be easier on my gun with my hunting loads. I am also thinking that the snug fit of the cases in the chaber will help to align the bullet with the barrel and increase the gun's accuracy. For the few cases that have to be pushed into the chamber I am going to try and resize the cases by rolling the cases between two metal plates to remove any slight bulges that might be present. Then I am just going to neck size the cases where they hold the bullet and then crimp heavily.

Has anybody done this and is my thinking along the correct lines, or am I way off base?

Thanks for the Help!!

Boo586

Page generated in 0.02789 seconds with 8 queries