View Single Post
Old October 21, 2013, 02:45 PM   #12
G. Gunman

Quote:
It's easy enough to get into Pennsylvania (where the FL permit is recognized) without traversing NJ (although New Jersey DOES observe the FOPA -- it's even reproduced in NJ statute and can be found on the NJ State Police web site). Driving up from the south, the stretch through Maryland can be short, and is also covered by the FOPA if the destination (insofar as the firearm is concerned) will be PA. After all, to drop off the firearm anywhere in PA would require a stop and interaction of some type, thus making PA a "destination" for purposes of the FOPA. If you use I-81 instead of I-95, the portion through MD is only a few miles.

The case of the auto mechanic (see above) who was busted in NJ was not a FOPA case. He was traveling TO New Jersey, and that's a different story entirely.
That's right; and you've made a very good reply. The reason for bringing the Florida CWL along is in case anyone storing or otherwise processing an out-of-state firearm asks to see it. (I doubt Sarco, Inc. would take in such a gun if they discovered the owner was from another state, AND wasn't licensed to carry in PA.)

New Jersey is a little different: In New Jersey it's illegal to either possess OR use a firearm unless you have an NJFID card. About half my family lives in New Jersey; and several family memebers are, or were, in NJ law enforcement. Whenever I visit them I won't even touch a firearm or any ammunition. Why? Because I am very well aware of how NJ's gun laws are, both, written AND remain open to courtroom interpretation.

Right now the only way I can use a firearm (and especially a handgun) in NJ is for me to make application to the New Jersey State Police for an out-of-state NJFID card. (The one I already possess from my days as a New Jersey state resident is invalid.)

I don't really need to go shooting in New Jersey; I can do all the shooting I want, right here, across the Delaware in Pennsylvania; and I'm not interested in throwing away a whopping $75.00 dollars in order to get re:fingerprinted for another NJFOID card. (Which would be the fourth firearms ID card that I've possessed during my life!) So, in spite of never having been a criminal and coming from one of the most well-regarded public education AND law enforcement families in the state, I don't go shooting with either friends or relatives, anymore, while I'm visiting New Jersey.

WHAT MANY PEOPLE THINK THE GUN LAWS ARE IN NEW JERSEY, AND WHAT THESE LAWS CAN (AND SOMETIMES DO) TURN OUT TO ACTUALLY BE ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Now, a word about the FOPA. Is it within the scope of the law to stay overnight in New Jersey, or to even stop for food or fuel WITHOUT immediately losing the protection this act offers? (I've had better legal minds than my own say that these areas remain legally, 'gray'.)

Page generated in 0.06125 seconds with 8 queries