View Single Post
Old October 2, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1
miykael

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Laminate Compact

Well, I bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Laminate Compact with the 16.5" barrel in .308. I wanted a "bush gun" but in a bolt action and the little Ruger fits the bill. Only broke barrel in and some test loads so far. I had a VAIS Muzzle Brake installed because the rifle is 6lbs and kicks far more than my Savage 10FP.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...ct/models.html

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/ (VAIS website)

The difference with the VAIS MB was night and day. It definitely lives up to the claims. Recoil dramatically dropped and without an increase in sound dB!! I would recommend this VMB to anyone who buys this rifle. The only problem I encountered was I had to go to a fast burning powder - Hodgdon H322 - which limits my hand loads to 155 grains bullets (but I'm using 150's). Haven't tried a slower powder yet since the VMB was on but might later on. There was a lot of flash with the slower powder previously. Going to use the new IMR XBR8208 for my Savage 10FP, so I might try some of those loads to see if the flash is still prominent with the VMB (yes I know it's not a flash suppresor).

The only real problem that I encoutered is that I LOVE my Savage 10FP and the Ruger trigger is well...not a Savage Accu-Trigger. I'm spoiled...thanks a lot Savage. I should have bought a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine and probably will sell my Ruger and do that. I realized at the range that I am not a free hold shooter. I like the precision shooting off a bipod, so will probably be hunting "sniper" style. Good thing that a friend of mine was an ex-sniper for the US Army. I bought the Ruger for ease of carry but now realize that I'm a Savage nut! The Ruger's a great rifle for it's purpose but not for a spoiled Savage shooter.

If anyone is in the Fraser Valley, BC area and wants to buy this rifle, let me know. I'm advertising it on firearmscanada.com

Last edited by miykael; October 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries