View Single Post
Old October 3, 2000, 03:29 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First let me say that I haven't been in the "people-huntin" game. My opinions are just that, I reckon.

I first really became aware of tunnel vision when I first started IPSC shooting in 1981. With multiple targets, that slows you down. It seemed to help to move my head in (guessing) 15-degree sweeps unless I was actually "on target" and shooting. I let my peripheral vision pick up any problems for stumbling or falling, as I checked the locations of other targets.

This works with quail hunting in my very rugged desert country, where not only are there lots of rolling rocks but a heckuva lot of bad, bad cactus and suchlike. blue quail run, and so you have to run, avoid falling, shoot a bird, not lose his location on the ground--yet keep track of the rest of the covey.

On the street, I try always to keep my eyes moving, and my head as necessary. I grant that just walking down the street is not a high-adrenalin situation...

I guess one way to help train yourself out of just looking straight ahead might be to spend a lot of range time going against a timer on multiple targets. Just knowing about the clock pushes the adrenalin up. And that's the key: Induce adrenalin flow however you can, and fight its effects. But easier said than done...

FWIW, Art

Page generated in 0.03244 seconds with 8 queries