View Single Post
Old August 11, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
jhenry

I would not provide aid. Why? Because, IMO, it can give the police the idea you werent sure you had to shoot. If you have to defend yourself, you life is threatened. You going to all of a sudden start helping the man? The man who forced you to shoot him because you thought he was a threat to your life. Helping him after could make it seem like there was less of a threat. The police/jury may believe you didn't have to shoot because you helped him after. This makes you look unsure of your decision to use deadly force. Call 911 and give them a detailed description of what happened. Allow them to deal with the wounded/dead man.

Excellent point.

I am not really concerned with how I would look, but since the point has been made, it is also logical to assume NOT helping could make you look like your intent was to do as much harm as possible and not simply to stop the threat, while helping (assuming it is safe to do so) could make you look as if the intent was only to stop the threat and not to do excessive harm. Not to cause unnecessary pan and suffering. You could take it either way. Look at it from a lawyer's perspective. "Mr. X, is it not a fact that you first shot my client twice and then callously stood by while he was no longer any threat at all and watched him bleed to death. You did this because your intent was to kill was it not Sir!". or "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Mr. X did what he had to do to preserve his life, not with the intent to kill or maim but with the intent to survive. He in fact, and the evidence supports this, he rendered aid to Mr. BG once the threat had passed to the very best of his abilities. These are not the actions of a killer, just the necessary actions of a law abiding citizen".

I will reiterate what I stated in the closed thread. I would help the individual to my abilities, assuming he was no longer a threat based on my experience. The BG's life and limb mean nothing to me if he is a real threat. I really don't care how much damage I have to do to get out of it or protect my family. It is on his head. I will not however stand by if he is no threat and do nothing, for a variety of reasons. The above is one. Training and my own experiences are another.

Page generated in 0.02456 seconds with 8 queries