View Single Post
Old October 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #18
dahermit

Quote:
I go with Jack on this one. Years back I was up at my Brother-in-laws place and the neighbor stopped and said they wanted to drive the swamp as it was the last day of doe. I had a 12 Gauge in the truck and some odd shells. I grabbed some slugs and OO Buckshot. It was thick where I was standing so I loaded up with OO. A big doe came sneaking through at about 20 yards and I shot. She did not even jump. She turned her head and saw me and jumped right into the brush. The next year my Brother-in-law killed a doe there with a bow. The front half of the deer had spread out pellets in it. (Keep in mind this was in the mountains where nobody uses a shotgun). When they skinned the deer, they did not even know what the pellets were. The pellets went through the hide and stuck in the meat. The hide grew back over the pellets. Do what you want if it is legal, just be aware of the capabilities of what you are using.
If you had shot the deer behind the shoulder, would the pellets have penetrated to the vitals? Also, there seems to be several considerations/choices that could have been better. For instance, you said, "...years back...". Was that before 3 inch magnums were available (2-3/4, 00 buck, nine pellets)? Would your results have been better with a 3 inch magnum with 12 pellets and shooting behind the shoulder resulted in a down deer? Seems like you are blaming buckshot for your poor choices of ammo and aim.

Page generated in 0.03752 seconds with 8 queries