View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Questions on original M1 Carbines . . .

I'm getting ready to do a 10/22 Rugrer build of a M1 Carbine. It's been years since I've had a chance to handle one and have a couple of questions in regards to them that hopefully someone on here can answer.

There are two different M! Carbine stocks available (from what I'm seeing for doing a "10/22 Ruger M1 carbine build" - unfortunately not walnut). One utilizes a barrel band with an attached sling swivel. The other utilizes an inletted sling swivel just behind the barrel band. I've tried reading up on the different models but was wondering. Were any original M1 Carbines made where the upper sling swivel was inletted in the stock or were all of them attached to the barrel band?

Question 2 - with the butt end of the sling being retained by the oiler in the slot - was this just a "friction fit" and did it ever create a problem with the originals after wear - i.e. the assembly sliding out and the oiler dropping out?

Question 3 - What was the approximate "length of pull" on a M! Carbine?

I know that I will have to make some "concessions" in this build but would like to make it as original looking as possible - thus the question on the sling swivel placement. Ill be using the TechSisghts on it which closely resemble the original GI sights.

Thanks for any info that will help and also sastify my curiosity! Greatly appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.02961 seconds with 8 queries