View Single Post
Old November 28, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1
ProxyBoy

Help analyzing the wife's shooting.

For Thanksgiving the Wife and I went to my Aunts place out in the country and brought the pistols to get in some "range time". This would be basically my first time doing any serious shooting and it had been a while for my wife.

We set up a card board box lid (banker's box sized) nailed to a tree 25 yards away. She was geeked up and I of course let her go first. She fired her ten rounds from her P95 and then we walked over to see the "damage".

Well, she didn't hit the cardboard once. A few shots into the base of the tree (box was about 4' up the tree) probably nothing within one foot.

So I took my XDm .40 and fired all 16 rounds at the target, she has better eyes than I do and said I was hitting it from the first shot. Then we walked up and found that I did pretty good. Probably kept all shots within 18" (I was aiming at a target she drew up towards the corner so some hit the tree outside of the box. Overall, I was fairly pleased with my first attempts.

So then we let the wife try my XDm and she had similar results except I paid more attention and noticed she was hitting the DIRT about 10-15' in front of the tree!! Wow, that is FAR off. My wife is an artist and has MUCH better fine motor skills than I do and more experience, this isn't making any sense.

I shot her P95 and hit the target just fine, so I knew the gun had nothing to do with the issue (already suspected but wanted to make sure... and of course put some rounds through her gun ).

So I then paid more attention to her hands as she fired the gun and I noticed that it seemed like she wasn't taking up the "slack" before breaking the shot off. So I asked her if she was pulling the trigger till it "stopped" then squeezing or was she just squeezing all the way through. She stated that she was squeezing all the way through which I think was causing a visual jerk of the gun downward. She corrected that but was still having issues.

We moved to 15 Yards and she was still having very low issues and was barely hitting the target only about 5-10% of the time at best. I enjoyed the shorter distance and started firing a little faster and ending up rather surprised and pleased with my ability to continue to at least keep most of them on the target.

After about 100 rounds I was able to put 12 of 16 rounds on the target in poor light (sun was sinking fast) at 25 yards.

We are definitely ready to do some more shooting and I will slow down and work on the finer aspects of shooting but we need some advise for the wife... any idea of what is going on? Previously she has shot at an indoor range and being a woman the men of course have always been willing to help her so I assume she has had some decent "teachings"... but I really only know what I have read and watched on a few videos and am in no way qualified to really do much to correct her issue.

Page generated in 0.02931 seconds with 8 queries