View Single Post
Old July 16, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1
Gaimen

Gun on Mantle - Good Idea?

I was talking with a neighbor the other day and he told me about an intermittent string of home break-ins in our area. Apparently some punks up the road simply walk up to the front door, kick it in, and start grabbing things. In at least one case, a lady was still home and called the cops before he could get in. The punk ran off when he realized someone was in the house.

Of course I told this to my wife and her first comment is 'We have to move'. Classic, I know. But realistically that is not possible right now. It is not bad enough that I consider that a real option. But nevertheless she is very scared of being at home with the two kiddies and a guy kicking in the front door.

She is not a gun person and is not trained (I keep trying to get her to the range). However I was thinking of putting my unloaded 1911 on the mantle (possibly in a box) so that she could quickly have a deterrent if necessary? These break ins have not been violent and have generally been on an empty house.

Good idea having an empty gun available to an untrained person?

Useful?

Thoughts?

I would not want to keep an unsecured loaded gun in the den with my kids around (right now it is loaded in my gunvault).

Page generated in 0.03573 seconds with 8 queries