Thread: Colt Navy woes
View Single Post
Old June 21, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Oquirrh

Colt Navy woes

Took two revolvers to the range for a long session, the Pietta '58 Remington and the .36 Pietta Colt Navy.

The Remington badly needs new nipples, but I've got it shooting close to POA and it's grouping nicely.

But the 51 Navy drove me nuts. Lots and lots of misfires. The nipples look good -- stainless -- but they seem to be between a #10 CCI and 11 RWS cap. One doesn't go on far enough and the other falls off. It got to the point that I was going around once snapping to set the caps, then a second time to fire.

The biggest problem is that after shooting one cylinder the hammer starts to bind against the frame--two cylinders, and I have to push the hammer to full forward with my thumb so I can cock it back again. There is almost no tolerance even before the crud starts building up. I put a piece of leather under the hammer spring to make is smack harder. Would it be a good idea to dremel the frame wider a bit where the hammer slides through?

Not surprising with all the fooling with caps that accuracy sucked, groups the size of ur hand.

When I tore the Navy down to clean it, I couldn't get the barrel off. After soaking it I finally was able to carefully twist it off--I think the wedge slot was peened from recoil (?) Now the wedge is very loose.

Page generated in 0.03125 seconds with 8 queries