View Single Post
Old December 6, 2004, 06:47 PM   #15
keko

Just finished the CCDW class in KY...

what has been said above is correct.

In sum, if you DO NOT have a CCDW you can have the hun (loaded) in a closed glove box (that is OEM with the car). The glove box does not have to be locked.

You can have the gun (loaded) in clear view: on the passengers seat or dash.

You can open carry in KY, but some counties or towns could have an ordanance. Having a gun in a holster (open carry) in your car is not legal per my reading of the law because the policeman may not see it. I would not want to fight that in court.

Other than the above, it needs to be unloaded or you need a CCDW.

Just across the river in IL it sucks!

There are a few odd things about the law in KY:
-If you feel like a guy is going to actually harm you, you can shoot. You do not need to wait to be hit. However, if a guy is holding a gun on another guy...you can't shoot the guy holding the gun...it is the undercover cop protection provision. But once the firing starts, you are OK to shoot. Or if it is a family member and you are SURE that the guy with the gun is a bad guy you are OK to shoot.
-Here is the odd one...you can shoot a guy committing arson.
-You can shoot a guy in your house if you feel you life is in danger, but once he leaves the house, shooting is a no-no. I guess if you make a mistake outside, you better go get the gas can from the garage...only kidding.

The only southern state that KY doesn't have reciprocity with is SC...do not know why. There are almost 30 states with reciprocity with KY. Naturally, the ones NOT on the list would be those you expect: CA, New England (except one state), Mid-Atlantic, IL, SC, and a few out west.

Lastly, the point about state laws being different is a good one. The newspaper editor in my town went to Nashville to have some fun. He had a loaded gun in the glove box...legal in KY. He got pulled over in Nashville, got a DUI...and got nailed for the gun...TN law is different. Even with a CCDW he may have had trouble...DUI's are a loss of CCDW offense in KY.

Page generated in 0.03739 seconds with 8 queries