View Single Post
Old December 1, 2001, 05:23 AM   #4
PJR

I used to own of these guns and as I recall the 11/87 Sporting Clay is limited to 2-3/4" shells that are no more powerful than 1-1/4 oz. 3-1/4 dram. That's more than enough for target shooting and upland hunting.

These limits are on the gun because of the light contour barrel which has a shorter chamber and does not have a pressure compensating system like standard 11/87 barrels. As near as I could tell comparing mine to other 11/87s, the gun is the same save for the shortened foreend and light barrel.

Replacement 11/87 barrels will fit on this gun and they will work in theory with heavier loads. I can't say for certain because I never tried it. I don't know if the feed system would handle 3" shells but I've never considered using 2-3/4" shells for everything a particular handicap.

I also gave thought to getting a slug barrel and setting this gun up for HD. But the mag is only three rounds and I would have wanted a two round magazine extension. The mag tube has the dimpled end but these can be drilled out.

Give up your 870? I've owned all manner of shotguns from the beaters to the best and have always owned at least one 870 and always will.

Page generated in 0.02113 seconds with 8 queries