View Single Post
Old August 21, 2001, 05:44 PM   #36
AdrenalineJunky

In My opinion...

Grappling arts are superior to striking arts. My Thai training includes many strikes that are not allowed in ring bouts. I'm not in the proper shape to fight in the ring, but I have no doubts about my skills in a street fight.
------------------------
"Please,do not forget,that there are differences in the studying of martial arts.People in UFC have a strong "Sport" orientation towards martial arts,people learning SELF DEFENSE and combat cannot compete adequately in the UFC atmosphere,they are just trained to finish a fight brutally and efficiently. "
------------------------
I agree with that. People aren't always trained to compete. And those trained for competition, aren't always the best at defending themselves in a real fight. (If I'm reading that right.) It's sad to see a self acclaimed "martial arts expert" lose a fight to a moderately skilled boxer or wrestler. Most people think that it's just not supposed to happen. But it can, and easily, too.
-----------------------
"The only reaction you would get from me if you were to bite me when I am doing an armbar would be that I would get pissed off, then break the other arm. "
-----------------------
Dave, please don't take this as questioning your fighting ability, but being a master in every art known to man still wouldn't make you invincible. Okay, maybe biting won't deter you. But what happens when my friend cracks you in the head with a bottle? I mean, we are talking street fights here, right? If you're dazed long enough for me to get a good elbow into your adams apple and a push kick or a round kick to your knee, chances are, you won't be breathing or walking too well. Assuming my wits are about me, those two strikes should take little more than a second. Then, it's a totally different scenario.

If you think it won't happen, you could be right. But if you think it CAN'T happen, then you're just setting yourself up for something like that. Now, obviously this is completely hypothetical, and I'm not trying to make any assumptions about your skill vs. mine. I want to make that clear so I don't get a piissed off response. Anyone who has significant sparring experience has been accidentally poked in the eye, hit in the throat, kneed in the groin, or fell prey to a misplaced strike. Make no mistake, that shiit hurts! And, quite honestly, those are the kind of strikes an inexperienced fighter will make when they panic. There are simply too many factors involved in a street fight to predict an outcome. And when we panic, our basic, sometimes infantile, instincts take over. Sometimes those are the things that save our assses.

Page generated in 0.03520 seconds with 8 queries