Thread: Old CCI primers
View Single Post
Old April 13, 2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

Magnum primers are not the preferred primer to use in high pressure cases. They can be used if you don't have another option. I have used them with W231 and it is a fast powder. I didn't notice much of change if any. With AA7 a slow powder for pistol loads, I had to reduce my load about .3 grains to achieve what I was looking for. Magnum primers generally are harder than standard primers. You might experience light strikes at times if your pistol has a reduced hammer spring in it. When loading near the top end of load data it is possible for spikes in the powder to happen sooner than you normally would see. This is the reason you don't want to load magnum primers near the top end of published load data.

I have used magnum primers in 9 mm before. I did reduce my powder .5 grains and worked up again .1 grains at a time. This is assuming you are not going below the minimum listed data for the powder you are using. I have not used the powder you have so I won't comment on it.

I normally use magnum primers for .357 magnum loads with powder that doesn't need a magnum primer. I get a cleaner burn and it is very consistent. I prefer it to what I was getting with SPP. I also use AA7 for these loads.

Page generated in 0.02366 seconds with 8 queries