View Single Post
Old December 12, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
pax

What do you look for in an instructor?

I recently posted an article on the Cornered Cat website about becoming a firearms instructor. You can read the article here:

How to Become a Firearms Instructor

An excerpt, to whet your appetite (read the whole thing!):

Quote:
The weaknesses of the certification process should seem equally obvious. One brief class cannot possibly give you enough information or experience to become a good instructor on your own. A short weekend (or even a long one) cannot and does not give you the tools you need to develop your own material from sources you yourself understand thoroughly. This is true no matter who offers that piece of paper, and no matter which school or franchise backs it up, or how many years they’ve been doing it. Within such a limited time and constrained format, one class simply cannot provide enough breadth and depth to make those things happen.
In that article, I suggested that a professional defensive firearms instructor should have the equivalent of a college degree in firearms training & use.

I'm posting here looking for a little more feedback. What's your take on this? What do you think are the minimum standards a truly professional defensive firearms instructor should meet?

pax

Page generated in 0.02884 seconds with 8 queries