View Single Post
Old March 24, 2023, 10:45 AM   #1
taylorce1

Still on the quest for a light .308 Win.

I'm still on the hunt for a sub 6 lbs .308 Win rifle and I've boiled it down to a few choices. My goal is 8.5 lbs or less with loaded magazine, sling, Nightforce SHV 3-10X42, and suppressed. I haven't been able to find any of these rifles anywhere within 135 miles to handle (save one) to know if I'd like it. These are the rifles that fit in my budget right now, allow me to meet my weight goals, and how I'm ranking them.

1. Howa Superlite, 4 lbs 7 oz lightest of all rifles almost a full pound lighter, and middle of the road on price at $1000, carbon fiber synthetic stock. Cons, proprietary short action smaller than the normal 1500 action. This rifle will weigh between 7.5 and 8 lbs without having to change anything except my current scope base.

2. Christensen Arms Mesa FFT, 5.5 lbs and $1300, with M700 footprint, carbon fiber synthetic stock. The only con I have is I'll have to change out my current rings and bases to keep it at 8.5 lbs.

3. Kimber Montana, 5.5 lbs and $1350-2000+, stainless steel rifle, lightweight sythetic stock. Cons, are none currently available. I can backorder at $1350, or pay $2000+ for a used or NOS rifle. New scope mounts required.

4. Kimber hunter, 5 lbs 6 oz for $900, stainless steel rifle. Cons, injection molded stock and new scope mounts required.

5. Savage Lightweight Storm, cheapest at $700, stainless steel. Cons, injection molded stock, and new scope base required. I have handled this rifle, I'm really just not fond of the Accufit stock.

I'm really leaning towards the Howa SL and the Mesa FFT. However, I'm having a hard time wanting to spend $1000+ on a rifle I've never had in my hands.

Page generated in 0.02696 seconds with 8 queries