View Single Post
Old October 24, 2018, 12:21 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

I thought M1 carbines were overpriced back when they hit $500, but that's just me, and I'm not a carbine fan.

I would point out that when it comes to US GI weapons, there are two different classes of "correct".

There is "correct as originally issued" meaning the way it left the factory, with all the same manufacturer's parts, etc.,

and there is "correct as maintained in service". This includes all the "mixmaster" guns, with parts from different makers. These guns ARE historically correct, they just aren't the most desirable "original issue condition" guns.

I guarantee you that any repair the military ever did to the gun was not done with ANY consideration to "matching mfg" parts.

You got an M1, Winchester made. You need an op rod. There is NO "winchchester op rod" in the supply system, there is only M1 op rod, stock# xxxx-xx-xxxx. The repairman gets what ever the supply system sends him. This is the whole point of mil-spec, so that it doesn't matter who made the part, it will fit and work, if its in spec.

A fully original weapon in original issue condition has more value to a collector than a weapon that has been "restored" to original issue condition, because the original retained its condition, making it a more rare item.

if there is documentation stating the gun left the service in such and such condition, then you have something to assign a value to. Otherwise, there's no proof and you are paying for someone's story. To me, without supporting proof, no story is worth several hundred dollars, but, that's just me..

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries