Thread: Class III FAQ?
View Single Post
Old April 28, 2000, 04:53 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The precurser to the BATF set up a system of classifications of firearms. Class one is actually the classification of a dealer. The popular vernicular or slang is that any firearm(s) that most everyone here has in their safe, closet or whereever is class one. In actuality they are title one firearms IIRC. Title one firearms fire one projectile with each pull of the trigger (i.e. bolt-action rifle, lever-action rifle, so-called "assault" rifles, handguns, shotguns).
Title two firearms (class three) are those that fire more than one projectile with each pull of the trigger (i.e. HK MP5, Uzi, M2, Phalanx etc) or any firearm designated a destructive device (i.e. Street Sweeper, Gilbert Equipment USAS etc).
The class designation actually is the classification system of dealers. It goes from class one up to, I believe, class seven. The ones that we, Joe and Jane Citizen, deal with mostly are; class one - who you buy from in the most cases, many gunshops, sporting goods stores, x-Marts etc. Class two is an entity that has been granted manufacturing privledges (including title two weapons - on a gov't letterhead etc) and class three is a dealer who can legally sell and receive interstate title two firearms.
The tax stamp is required for any transaction of a title two firearm (including suppressors) with a few exceptions. The stamp is payable anytime the taxed item exchanges possession. Though if you are at a range and you hand your buddy your Uzi to shoot you have not exchanged the firearm as you still have possession. If you send a taxed item in for repari then you must pay unless you stay with the firearm while it's being worked on. It gets rather complicated.
There are also several forms that must be filled out for any or many reasons; interstate travel included.
For an excellent reference, find a copy of MACHINE GUN Buyers Guide and Owners Manual; Civilian machine Guns Buying, Owning, Transporting, Storing and more... by Frank Iannamico

Page generated in 0.03679 seconds with 8 queries