View Single Post
Old January 26, 2014, 03:20 PM   #31
tahunua001

there is a difference between an american made rifle that is brand new and sold through a pseudo government organization and one of 12 million guns that were made in a hurry with virtually no quality control to speak of and then ridden hard for a century before being sold off to anyone that wanted one.

also, CMP hasn't been around that long. it would have more than likely been DCM selling those.

FWIW, I own two guns that use enblocs. one is a M1895 mannlicher which I got because they are very cheap and because I already had a number of clips on hand from a trade I made a while back. in all it is in the same boat in all fields as the carcano. non-standard bullet diameter, non existent cheap plinking ammo, poor wood(on most, not all), and goofy, oddball bolt design. however a $150 rifle that you don't have to shop for clips for is not nearly as bad as a $250 rifle that you do have to shop for. the only reason I decided to go through with it was because I wanted a gun that was used by the nazis and I'm not too partial to M98 mausers.

I also own a M1 garand which I ought from the CMP. I already had a number of clips on hand from previous ammo deals I'd made. I do not like the clips and am not entirely sure I like the garand design as a whole. it's a pain to take apart, it's even worse to put back together and it's a 10 pound rifle with a fixed ammo capacity because of the clips and unlike the carcano and mannlicher, it launches it's clips rather than just dropping them at your feet.

I don't malign clips because I'm used to mags... I don't like them because they are damned inconvenient. those two rifles in my collection are rarely taken from the safe anymore in favor of box magazine fed rifles.

Page generated in 0.03854 seconds with 8 queries