View Single Post
Old August 3, 2009, 08:59 PM   #10
zxcvbob

I use whatever lead I can find. I'm not picky. (pistol range scrap is good.) I need to check with the local scrap dealer and see if he has any lead pipe...
  • If you use wheel weights (they are getting hard to find) watch out for zinc weights. Just a few will ruin a whole big batch of lead. They are usually marked "Zn" or "Honda". I've never actually seen one that said Honda. Just a year ago, there were almost no zinc weight here. But I bought a bucket of wheel weights from a scap metal dealer a few months ago and about half of the stick-on weights were zinc (and most of the other half were steel)
  • Lee's 230 grain truncated cone "tumble lube" bullet is a good one. Try shooting them as cast (without sizing) and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. If the Alox is too messy for you, next try a liquid lube called "Rooster Jacket".
  • I like Lee 6-cavity molds, but start out with a 2-cavity mold because they are a lot cheaper and easier to get the hang of. I also use a Lee 20 pound bottom-pour lead pot. Like most (not all) Lee equipment, it is a bargain. There's also a 10# pot that costs a little less.
  • Don't melt scrap lead in your casting pot. Use an old cast iron or stainless steel pot and a camp stove or hotplate or turkey fryer for that.

Page generated in 0.02722 seconds with 8 queries