View Single Post
Old December 11, 2019, 10:08 AM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
A deer's sense of smell is very keen. How can a buck trail a hot doe if it doesn't know which direction she is going? Ain't no arrows on the ground. He does it by following the oldest scent to the freshest. That same buck will know if the scent is a week old too. Kinda why they don't fear the spot you peed on a day or two later. So, keep the lid on and in the fridge between hunts. If I have much left over at the end of the season, I will actually put it in the freezer. Heat, and sunlight will breakdown scent too. There are preservatives put in most deer scents, but the best are still those the freshest. I wonder some times how many years some scents have been sitting in the back room of the sporting goods store. Why I tend to either buy what's been dated, what's new on the market this year, or go without.
I doubt that they are that rational about it ..... FWIW, every time (IIRC) I've had a buck come in my trail like this, it's been a young one at the peak of the rut .... young bucks in rut do crazy stuff- I had one come out and wanted to fight me over a doe I had just killed.

The one time I bagged a mature buck that I am sure doe urine was involved, it was straight down wind of both me (~90 yards away in a ground blind, used as much scent control measures as i could) and a turkey feather doused in doe urine ( stuck in the top of a round bale, about ~40 yards from the blind... don't know how old it was, could have been new) .... the buck was trotting along right at sundown and hit the brakes hard when he got downwind, lifted his head up high and curled his lip back ..... and I hammered him.

Page generated in 0.03592 seconds with 8 queries