View Single Post
Old June 22, 2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Sevens

Loading for .30/30 in Contender

I haven't got the barrel... trying to decide if this would be an interesting venture. Obviously, .30/30 is old... low pressure... slow... with a big ugly round-nose bullet straight outta the old west.

With a proper pointed bullet, can you make a decent round out of it, something that shoots a little better than a rainbow trajectory, or does sending that slick modern bullet from a 14-inch barrel instead of a rifle-length barrel put you at the same result as the old-tech round nose bullet from a lever action?

Or, with some of the 100-120 grain .30 cal offerings, can you make a varmint round out of it? Or would the .223 and the Super 14" barrel simply out-do it with a much lighter, sleeker bullet?

.30/30 out of a Contender isn't something I need... but I'd still like to hear from anyone who dabbles in it, or has considered it. Seems like it might be fun.

Page generated in 0.03606 seconds with 8 queries