View Single Post
Old September 14, 2018, 05:07 PM   #10
TunnelRat

He's talking about the slide coating (his response makes me think he doesn't realize the beveling is done at the factory). The coating on the slide has nothing to do with the frame and on your example that tiny bit of frame exposed is not going to get any more wear from the slide as the slide reciprocates rearward, not to mention the role of the slide rails.

The only part of the frame more exposed is the little bit at the top of the frame up front right where the frame meets the beveled slide (and it's not much exposure). In terms of frame wear from a holster, in a leather holster the front of the frame is what is going to open up the holster so that little bit of material isn't going to get touched. Most kydex holsters are shaped to accommodate Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks as well and in that case there won't be additional wear as your firearm uses the same frame shape as those (basically you have an air gap in the holster at the beveling in front that doesn't matter as that area doesn't provide retention). Given that your model is also how the Gen 5s were for a number of months, except the 19X, my guess is even the kydex holsters specifically for Gen 5 Glocks will also not take into account the additional beveling of the frame, though if you're very worried about it you could ask the manufacturer of that holster. The only change I've seen that matters for the Gen 5 Glocks is if you use a holster that fits very snugly around the slide stops, the Gen 5s having an ambidextrous release can be an issue if the holster goes all the way up both sides of the frame. And that won't change based on the presence or lack of frame beveling.

You can obsess over this if you want. You could call the store asking if you can do an exchange, but that's iffy as what you now own is technically a used gun in that it's been in your possession and they can't fully answer for its use. Nothing I have read, watched, or seen on my personal example indicates that the lack of beveling of the frame is an issue, and this is a pistol I've used regularly. I honestly think it's a non-issue, other than a cosmetic annoyance. You can certainly sell it or trade it to get one that does have the frame beveling, but my first-hand experience tells me you're not getting anything in return other than likely losing money. My advice would be to shoot it, and stop staring at the front of it. As someone who is mildly OCD myself if you can't do that fair enough, just realize it's not an actual issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 14, 2018 at 06:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.02957 seconds with 8 queries