View Single Post
Old June 30, 2012, 07:55 AM   #40
F. Guffey

Hello, everyone. There have been reports of smokeless..and of course black powders being detonated from shock..the warning in on every can of powder.
I suppose if powder can be ignited this way..an extra sensitive primer could
possibly go off.
There was a write-up about an accident at a registered bench-rest match in Precision Shooting magazine. It seems a shooter with a new rifle had gotten a cartridge stuck in the chamber..in trying to remove, the extractor tore thru rim. Bolt was removed & rifle held down on bags by friend, while owner used a cleaning rod from muzzle to tap out ctg.
About the third hard whack..ctg. discharged..the tragedy was..his wife was standing several feet behind and in line with chamber..the case hit her in stomach. Even though they got her to hospital in record time..she died on operating table.
The shooter said he was nearly knocked off his feet from the blow..though he did manage to hold onto rod..this was a little 6mm PPC.
No marks..scratches, dings, etc. were found on primer..the theory was the bullet being pushed back violently into case had compressed & ignited powder.

Google has nothing.

But it is always the bench rester, so rather than repeat it as fact allow me to apply the criteria of fact and or fiction, one the bench rester is not a fan of bullet hold, the bench rester does not run a pyrometer on his his receiver, stop rat there. I shoot with a few very disciplined reloaders, I pull the trigger, the next thing I hear is open the bolt! Get that fired case out of the receiver, so the receiver can cool, back to the story, the bench rester went to the rang with a new!!!! rifle and stuck a case (and me with no clue if it was his first round or if the case stuck after firing forty rounds, we will agree, if the story is true it was after his last round fired).

Hammering, compression and heat, I do not believe bench resters are exempt from an event called cook off, but let us consider he had a hot receiver with no chance of a cook off, but whacking on a the bullet could compress the powder causing the concentrating of the heat etc.. reminds me of a pile driver that runs on diesel, no ignition, no plug, no crank shaft, it just wacks away, something like the story about the bench rester, whacking away on a bullet with no case neck hold (neck tension) .

And time is not a factor to the bench rester, I want my bullets to have a jump, I want my bullets to have a running start and I also want nothing between my case and chamber but air, I am the fan of air between the case and chamber because I believe time is a factor.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02368 seconds with 8 queries