View Single Post
Old June 18, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Mountain Gun Load...240gr XTP HP .430 vs 240gr hard cast SWC

In a private purchase recently made, I had the chance to pick up more than 350 Hornady 240 gr .430 XTP bullets as part of the deal. My questions is this:

At 1,000 FPS, which bullet would you load your rounds up with? Which would be a more effective protection round...the hardcast SWC or the XTP? These would be used in a .44 Magnum revolver and carried in the mountains of Utah, Colorado and some in Wyoming.

Side note: I understand that I could and maybe should up the load both in bullet weight and powder charge. But, the person this gun ( an odd hybrid S&W 28 frame with S&W 629 cylinder and 4" barrel ) belongs to is NOT large...5'2" @ 125 lbs with petite hands. She can shoot stouter loads but wants something that she can shoot more rapidly.

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; June 18, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.04347 seconds with 8 queries