View Single Post
Old August 19, 2019, 07:22 AM   #49
Nathan

35 whelen is a great caliber. That said, I would like to suggest some choices that cover it’s shortcomings. It’s shortcomings to me are lack of available rifles, brass, bullets and ammunition. Yes, you can get or make all of those, but it will be a hunt!

9.3x62 Mauser - A relative unknown here, but Ruger is making the African model in this round, so ammo is sure to follow. Brass exists because it is more popular in Europe & Africa. Bullets are being made, but will be mail order.

375 h&h - It might be a bit much, but rifles, ammo, brass & bullets are common. You can tune your loads up and down the scale. You will always have enough rifle.

458 Win Mag- Also a pretty common caliber and load tunable from whitetails to elephant!

I would be remiss, if I didn’t point out 338 federal as a close match too with ammo & bullets as common place. Rifles are a bit rare, but available.

6.5x55 - Awesome round, but not the same kind of round. It might kill an elephant, but I will have 5-6 stopping rifles around me when I take the shot. With the 458, just shoot it, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Nathan; August 19, 2019 at 07:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.03265 seconds with 8 queries