View Single Post
Old December 22, 2016, 02:33 PM   #16
marine6680

I've seen several of those penetration test videos.

Using light weight 55gr varmint based bullets, they begin breaking up in the first interior wall.

Now if you are leaning against the wall and someone shoots at you through it, you are likely in for a bad time, though maybe not as bad had there not been a wall... But if you are on the other side of the room, it seems there would be a significant reduction in potential lethality, as the fragments spread out and shead velocity.

From the reading and research I have done, 55-60gr varmint based bullets for concerns that misses will overly penetrate, at a loss in terminal performance on humans. (Still good, but can be less effective on very determined attackers, requiring several shots) 60-65gr loads optimized for medium game like deer are excellent stoppers, but penetrate walls very easily.

Most loads marketed for police and defense use, fall into one of these two concepts.

As far as using an AR pistol or similar concept... I am not a fan of them. I have shot them and do not find them fun. Even using a cheek weld, controllability is not very good. Better than a standard pistol, but not as good as a rifle.

I have a 16" AR ready to go for defense in my home. Used properly, it's not much harder to wield than a SBR.

I want a proper Bren 805 rifle, I hear a lot of good things, but I don't think the pistol version is going to be good for any practical use, for me anyway.

Last edited by marine6680; December 22, 2016 at 02:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.03470 seconds with 8 queries