View Single Post
Old December 22, 2016, 12:21 PM   #14
themalicious0ne

Ammunition does matter in your selection. 00 Buck will penetrate a lot more than #1 Buck or #4.

Same goes with your 5.56 or .223 loading. I would choose something lightweight in either frangible or soft point. Preferably frangible.

5.56 or .223 still have plenty of power but if it breaks up upon hitting barriers, those fragments will have far less momentum. If you are talking on the other side of the room going through drywall, it wont lose a lot of energy, but if you are talking the round exiting your house, I would think that the 5.56 would be less damaging going through several barriers or dense barriers.

The only major objection I see would be due to the short barrel. You will get a lot of flash and bang. It could be disorienting at the minimum. You could permanently go deaf. Obviously everyone's threshold is different but that could be said of any gun. The db rating will be much higher than the other options.

Personally, I prefer to choose the best platform to stop the threat. That is decision #1 for me. Next is the potential to hurt an innocent bystander or family member. This is a double edged sword because I feel with a rifle I have the most accuracy potential and therefore limit a stray round. Damage potential is also high. A 5.56 losing momentum upon fragmentation makes me feel better too. However, a 5.56 after hitting a barrier can veer off course which makes me nervous. Always know your target and whats beyond. In addition, while I am of the mindset of choosing the best choice for my families safety, the loudness can also permanently impair them. A tough choice to make and why the hearing protection act needs to pass through and suppressors need to be more accepted.

At the end of the day, I manipulate a rifle the best, shoot it the best and have the best option for followup shots, ammunition capacity and threat stopping potential. There are downsides but staying alive is the highest priority. IMHO an SBR with a suppressor would be the best tool. Take my 2 cents for what they are worth. And that is only one man's opinion.

Is the Bren pistol the worst platform, no. Is it the best, not for me to say as it's a personal choice. But it is definitely not a poor contender.

Page generated in 0.04736 seconds with 8 queries