View Single Post
Old July 18, 2014, 05:44 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
Brian, are you after range and trajectory rather than being easy on you and the gun?

Mine vary a lot as well and sometimes a good load has shot badly on a subsequent shoot so I continue to wonder (and the velocity variation is pretty good in the 40-60 feet spread area, or so I think)

What kind of guns, i.e. over the counter, heavy barrel or custom barrel actions?
My primary consideration is accuracy within an acceptable limit. If I get it, I don't obsess over another 0.1". For instance, if I can except 3/4MOA and I get 5/8 with a fast load and 1/2 with a slow one, I'm going to use the fast one.

However, I like light, fast bullets and I'm not exactly easy on the guns. I have loaded a .22-250 with 35gr Noslers pushing near 4,500fps, I loaded my .204Ruger up to 4,200fps with 32gr V-Max (just shy of 1gr over book max) and I have pushed a 6mm Rem with a 22" barrel and a .243AI with a 24" over 4,050fps with 55gr bullets. I also load a 7mm-08, 110gr Barnes TTSX to over 2,800fps from a 15" barrel, a load that would be pushing 3,300 in a 24".

The only load that's ever gone hokey on me is the 35gr Nosler. It was excellent for a few years, this last load cycle I went to F/L sizing with minimal shoulder bump instead of Lee collet only and simultaneously ran the powder bottle empty and switched lots. The load went from 1/2-3/4 MOA to 1.5-2MOA. I don't know which is to blame and we're out of those bullets anyway, so I will likely never know.

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 8 queries