View Single Post
Old September 22, 2000, 01:44 AM   #1
dalpra

Folks, I need some help in identifying an H&R Model 65 .22LR semi-auto rifle that I recently picked up. I am confused as to whether this model has a military connection. I have solicited responses on several of the firearms discussion forums, but I don't believe I've gotten a conclusive answer yet. I was told that both civilian and military models were produced and that because mine did not have the "US Property" markings or stock cartouches, it was a civilian model. The "Blue Book of Gun Values", however, lists only a military version, named the "Model 65 Military", produced from 1944-46 for the US Marines.

Here is a description of my rifle. It appears nearly identical to the MC-58 model pictured on page 49 of the book, "US Martial .22RF Rifles", by Thomas Batha (other page references are for this book).

overall length: 43 1/4"
barrel length: 23" (medium-heavy weight, tapered)
receiver marking (top):
MOD. 65-H. & R. REISING 22 CAL
HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.
receiver marking (left, just forward of rear sight): 63XX
barrel marking (left):
MFG. BY HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS U.S.A.
22 LONG RIFLE ONLY
barrel marking (top, just forward of receiver): D
front sight: post with protective ears (like M1 Carbine)
rear sight: Redfield receiver mounted, blued (looks identical to picture on page 50)
operating rod accessed through cutout in bottom of stock
bolt hold open mechanism is similar to that pictured on page 50 except forward slotted screw and pin positions are reversed
safety lever located on right side of receiver, at the same location as the selector switch pictured on page 52, grooved knob, receiver marked "SAFE" (rear position) and "FIRE" (forward position)
trigger guard is stamped metal, attached to stock with 3 screws
trigger is grooved
single takedown screw (11/16") forward of magazine well
barrel, receiver and trigger group take down as one complete unit
stamped sheet metal (?) magazine release lever is curved (rearward), not straight as in pictures
flat steel buttplate has short horizontal grooves on left and right edges, attached with 2 screws
stock appears walnut, target style with no apparent markings
there are 2 pins or studs in the lower half of the forearm, one forward of the magazine well, the second 2" from the forend tip
metal finish is a silvery gray, with some greenish hints; barrel has a few darks spots
magazines appear to be the same shape as that shown on page 53

What do you folks think? I've also contacted Tom Batha for his opinion. TIA.

[This message has been edited by dalpra (edited September 22, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02584 seconds with 8 queries