View Single Post
Old September 18, 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Overall, this is probably not a good idea

You mention wanting to do it if there's any legal way. Well, yeah, probably so. If you really want to rig something like unto an RPG launcher, your first step is to obtain approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. You can Google up their home site and wend your way through. Under their forms, I'm pretty sure there's the form for obtaining status to construct a destructive device. I think you're looking at fees of thousands of dollars. I understand the BATFE doesn't just hand out here approvals casually. Making one of these devices from scratch is NOT the same as modifying some sporting firearm into a short barreled rifle or the like.

Another direction you might want to consider: At practically every gun show, there's someone selling "Flare Launchers" which resemble the grenade launcher that hangs beneath an M16 or M4. These will NOT launch M79 grenades. They have no accuracy, but you can have some fun, if that's the way you want to go.

You mention making something from PVC pipe. Do you have in mind simply launching fireworks rockets from a hand held launcher? This could probably be done easily, and even legally, so long as you shot only over-the-counter fireworks. (Again, no accuracy.) Then your only real concern would be flash burns and possible eye injury.

I'd like to wish you good luck, but, as above, it doesn't sound to me like its a really productive --or safe-- project.

Please, be safe, and stay on the right side of the law.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.02703 seconds with 8 queries