View Single Post
Old July 28, 2019, 01:12 AM   #49
bamaranger

walls, floors and motel rooms

Regards bullets through floors and walls. I can probably put my fist through a sheet piece of drywall. I cannot put my fist through a sheet of plywood. I'm not surprised that flooring stopped a bullet, it's just plain stronger and tougher than a typical 2x4 /gypsum interior wall. Comprised of a floor covering and a plywood sub-floor, there is no comparison to typical interior wall. I'm glad your downstairs neighbor didn't get shot, but walls and floors are not constructed equally and are not a valid comparison for penetration.

I've spent some time thinking about SD shootings in a motel room, where distances will be short, and there well may be occupants on either side and below. I believe any acceptable handgun cartridge will sail right through a motel room wall, easy. Same of course for buckshot/slugs, and I would think most all .223 ammo. My solution in those locales, once established indoors, is indeed a takedown 12 ga with heavy birdshot, not anemic 1 oz loads of fine shot, but 1-1/4 oz loads of #4. I'd might use #2 if I could find it anymore in 2-3/4" shells, but cannot. Were I living in a situation where circumstances were similar, as in an apartment complex, I'd go the same route.

Though I hesitate to reference this as proof, a guy named Harrel has a video channel of shooting what he calls a "meat target" at short distances with assorted bird shot. It's an interesting video.

Page generated in 0.02288 seconds with 8 queries