View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 04:47 PM   #32
jcwit

Quote:
Wear safety glasses, hearing protection and long sleeves (preferably white), plus gloves (say, heavy duty gardening gloves), and deprime slowly and smoothly. Keep a bucket of water or a hose with trigger nozzle (or a fire extinguisher if you've got one) ready to go nearby in case anything catches on fire. Move everything flammable well away from the press. Don't fully trust the recovered primers; burn them up in plinking. Expect at least one to go off so you're not completely shocked if it does, and it'll be a bonus if they all don't.

Best of luck.
Explain to me why all this? Its a primer, not a grenade.

When I deprime even live primers the cartridge case is enclosed by the sizing die, the base of the case is enclosed by the shell holder, the open end of the case is filled with the decapping rod which is attached to the sizing die under extreme leverage by the handle of the press.

If perchance a primer would 'go off' its going to go down the hollow ram of the press and in my presses will exit to the rear away from my body, just as the fired primers would.

Has no one here ever had a primer go off using a Lee Loader AKA the 'whack-a-mo', millions of rounds have been loaded using this equipment, and if a primer goes off the priming rod does not even leave your fingers.

In the thousands of primers I've recovered and pressed into another case I've yet to have a misfire that I can remember of, maybe I'm just one lucky pup.

I've only been reloading for over 50 years, what do I know?

Once again, ITS A PRIMER not a grenade.

Page generated in 0.03558 seconds with 8 queries