View Single Post
Old October 1, 2002, 04:54 PM   #11
LASur5r

Yes,

In my much younger years, I had learned that often a quick mouth( a good bluff) was a good way to prevent physical injury. This was pre-cell phones, though, so I don't know if this counts, but here goes.....

I was out "in the field" doing house inspections, when I came out of a house, the realtor who had let me in for the inspection said that there was a "crazy man" out in the street. My inspection appointments were set by the office staff so I was due at another place in fifteen minutes...so I sat it out for five minutes then went outside.

I didn't see anyone in the street, so when I started to walk across the street to my car, I had my keys in my hand and my 5 D cell maglite in the other. But up popped the crazy guy who was laying down on the dirt near the passenger side of my car. He had a rock about the size of a bowling ball and he threatened to smash my windshield for me or me if I didn't give him some money.

I tried to close in enough to try to get him to throw the rock and lose his weaapon, but he was determined to stick near my car. That's when I figured I'd try " the bluff...." I grabbed my beeper/pager and said, "See this? It's a phone and I am going to call the police right now and give them your description."
To which, his retort, was," You're kidding."
Witty rapport..."Just stay here and in a minute, you'll find out when the cavalry arrives."

His response? Throw the rock down on the street and run a way.

A year later I got to try this ruse again, but with not so successfuly results...but that's a story for another time.

Does this one qualify?

Page generated in 0.03456 seconds with 8 queries