View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 09:51 AM   #57
MLeake

SgtLumpy,

A lot of my friends are LEO.

While Deaf may (or may not) dislike cops, I do not.

That said, among the cops I know, Deaf mostly isn't wrong about their enthusiasm for shooting.

In my experience, more rural cops / deputy sheriffs are shooting hobbyists than not, while more city cops are not shooting hobbyists than are.

Also, in my experience, the more gun control an area has, the less likely its cops are to be shooting enthusiasts. Of course there are exceptions, but those are trends I've noted.

My cop friends and acquaintances who are NOT shooting enthusiasts tend to look at things this way:

1) People interaction skills are used much more often, and can head off trouble;

2) Hand to hand, mace, and Taser are much more likely to actually be employed than are guns;

3) The department only provides the minimum ammo required for training and recurrent qual, and they are already working security gigs at night or overtime for the department to make ends meet.

My cop friends and acquaintances who ARE shooting enthusiasts generally tend to come from military backgrounds, or were country boys growing up; some of them go for SWAT / ESU or equivalent, one was HRT, a couple were training officers.

Generally speaking (and again there are exceptions), I can outshoot most of the cops I know - but not the HRT guy (by a long stretch), and only on a PAR with the former Customs raid guy.

Page generated in 0.02615 seconds with 8 queries