View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 02:23 AM   #22
BigTex308

Re: Reloading for a Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
This might be reasonably safe if you are doing it on a regular basis throughout the shooting session but is potentially dangerous if it is done with any significant amount of leading in the bore.

The jacketed round shot through a leaded bore will cause pressures to skyrocket. I've seen a report of one G19 blown up by shooting a single jacketed round after shooting one box (50 rounds) of lead bullet rounds.

In general, shooting jacketed rounds through a bore that is potentially leaded is a practice that should be avoided in any pistol, not just Glocks. Beretta specifically warns against it in their owner's manuals saying to "DO NOT ever" (their emphasis) employ this practice. Allan Jones, ballistician and reloading expert for SPEER also recommends against it, saying he's seen a number of guns damaged by the practice.
Interesting. I had always heard to shoot a few FMJs after every dozen or so lead rounds.

My G17 (only polygonal rifling barreled gun that I own) holds 17 so I load up a few FMJS and fill the rest with my lead bullets in each mag.

I may have to rethink my practices regarding this.

I clean my barrel/gun after each outing too regardless of wether I'm shooting lead or not.

I really appreciate the post. Learned something new. Thank you.

Ike

Last edited by BigTex308; May 11, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.02697 seconds with 8 queries