View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013, 09:33 AM   #8
SlowHuck

I deeply appreciate your prompt replies. However, "Contact an attorney." is the response that I most feared. I did so early on in this process, and was quoted a minimum of $500 for a consultation. Far out of reach of my means at the moment. And at this point, the $50 nonrefundable application fee for the CHP is also too much of a crapshoot for me to chance. Much less than a five-year jail term for illegally possessing a firearm.

From the Virginia State Police Firearms Purchase Eligibility Test:

"A person who answers "yes" to any of the below questions may be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm pursuant to state and/or federal law.

13. Have you ever been the subject of a temporary detention order and subsequently agreed to voluntarily admission for mental health treatment?

From the Virginia State Police CHP application permit page:

Persons Not Qualified to Obtain a Permit:

18. An individual who has received mental health treatment or substance abuse treatment in a residential setting within five years prior to the date of his application for a concealed handgun permit.

And finally, from the CHP application itself:

B. HAVE YOU BEEN COMMITTED TO THE CUSTODY OF THE COMMISSIONER OF BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES?
IF YES, COMPLETE FORM 2 PART A PAGE 2 ( SEE NOTICE 4 PAGE 3)

FORM 2
PART A COMMITMENTS TO THE COMMISSIONER OF BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES
DATE OF COMMITMENT:_______________ DATE YOU WERE RELEASED FROM CUSTODY:_________________________________ NAME OF COURT WHICH ENTERED THE ORDER: __________________________________________________________________
LOCATION OF COURT (INCLUDE STREET ADDRESS, CITY, COUNTY, AND STATE) _____________________________________________________________________________________________________ HAVE YOUR FIREARM RIGHTS BEEN RESTORED BY A COURT? YES NO
IF YES, HAVE FIVE YEARS ELAPSED SINCE THE DATE OF RESTORATION? YES NO
IF YES, ATTACH SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION.

Now that I review that last part, I am somewhat encouraged. I was not "COMMITTED," I was merely detained for observation. But the language from the VSP website still has me concerned.

Maybe I need to just take a refrain from all the legalese I have been consuming (which is conspiring to turn my brain into mush), collect the appropriate documentation and take a look at things with a clear mind.

I am still pretty angry about the whole situation.

Again, thank you for your replies.

Page generated in 0.02993 seconds with 8 queries