View Single Post
Old November 24, 2011, 10:15 AM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
If you're really worried about the soot inside the case (which helps lube the case neck when expanding and seating the bullet), then you need to consider a ultrasonic or wet tumbling. Since you are also concerned about the case mouth, only an ultrasonic could possibly please you
one thing I have learned is that in LR to eliminate fliers is that the key to consistency. Same shooting routine every time, same cheek weld, same charge to the grain, sort bullets by weight to 1/10th of a grain, uniform neck thickness and tension. You can shoot 1/4 inch groups at 100, 1 inch groups at 200, go to 800 or 1000 and you can be all over the target if things are not uniform with every shot.

The last mechanical variable I can eliminate is the crud inside the cases. Decided to skip the Harbor Freight and go straight to a Hornady stainless or HCS 200. I figure with the larger size I can field strip my 1911 or CZ and just dump the pieces parts in there instead of scrubbing with a toothbrush for a hour or more. Gotta save some pennies first though.

Page generated in 0.02438 seconds with 8 queries