View Single Post
Old April 16, 2009, 03:10 AM   #7
BikerRN

Quote:
Maybe you will think twice before tricking out your guns with 4 pounds of hardware that glows, helps grip, and scratches your ass while you're shooting bad guys.

The "hardware" I've "tricked" my #1 carry gun with helps in several areas.

1. The Hogue grip sleeve improves my hand hold which improves my aim and follow up capability.
2. The Trijicon night sights improve my ability to aim in low light situations.

Quote:
All that hardware will be in a firefight is extra weight that you won't remember why you got because it's such a burden. Learn to shoot simple, and make it muscle memory so you don't have to rely on thinking.

I know how to shoot, thank you, and I can put a full mag in the 10 circle at any reasonable SD distance. The above-mentioned hardware helps me not have to actually"think" about aiming and firing.

It's late, and I'm tired.

I wanted to "mark my place" so I could come back later and reply.

Biker

OK, it's later and I'm well rested.

Some changes to a gun can be useful and help you. I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my Primary Off Duty Gun and will soon add them to my BUG. I'm also a fan of Night Sights.

These are changes that help one to shoot better under stress I have found. Things that don't help, are ultra light competition triggers, Match Barrels and "competition packages" IMHO.

Adrenelin is a funny thing. It saves us from the tiger, by feeding "gas" to our body to fight the tiger, or run from the tiger, but it reduces our fine motor skills. That reduction of fine motor skill is why I don't like "light" triggers on a defensive gun. I do like "smooth" triggers though and see no problem with having a 'smith polish out the "grittiness", but this can be done by the shooter too by firing the gun a lot in practice and doing nightly dry firing.

Things that help you to "see" where your bullets are going to go, sights, are critical in my opinion, as is being able to hold on to the gun. As far as thinking, You had better be thinking. Fighting an attacker is a thinking man or woman's game. Getting off the X, tactics, cover, being flanked and multiple adversaries are all things one has to consider.

Blind Panic is what you can't allow to happen. That takes thought. Just a word to the wise, Gunfights are won by tactics. As they say, "It's the Indian, not the arrow that wins the battle."

Not all changes to a gun are bad, just as not all are good. The thing is, you have to be able to "justify" why you made the changes you did. I can tell you from personal expirience that sometimes you will revert to your training and sometimes you won't. There are many factors to take in regards to this. Some of them are training, lack of sleep, alertness prior to the attack, prescription drug influence and various other things.

The thing is, if you don't at least train then you don't have anything in your memory bank to revert to, and it might just be what saves your life. If it saves you, great. If it doesn't, you will most likely not be any worse off than if you didn't have it in your "Bank" in the first place.

You may not be conscious of your thought process, but subliminally it is taking place, and you are responding to the information your body is receiving. You just have to know what to do with that information. That's where training comes in.

OK, I'm done. I hope somebody was able to learn something from what I typed and it's helpful to someone.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; April 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: reply posted

Page generated in 0.03685 seconds with 8 queries