View Single Post
Old January 28, 2013, 04:36 PM   #23
Alabama Shooter

Mo Brooks:

Quote:
And from his point of view, it's not about hunting or sport. Instead, Brooks said that history shows disarming a populace allows for the rise of dictatorial central governments. “The Second Amendment prevents our central government from even thinking about seizing dictatorial power that ends our republic or democracy,” he said.

I’m not OK with the people in New York City dictating to the rest of the country a set of gun ownership principles that are contrary to the wishes of the vast majority of the people of Alabama,” said Brooks. “That’s not New York City’s business.”

He joins a long list in Alabama, where the state’s top law enforcement official, Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange, has said national tragedies should not be used a pretext to take away constitutional rights.

I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment right to bear arms. And my approach to the Second Amendment is twofold,” said Brooks this week. “First, constitutional limitations permitted by the Second Amendment should be done on a state-by-state basis. What the people in New York City want is dramatically different from what the people of Alabama want, maybe from what the people of Nevada, Wyoming or Idaho want.”

“The second part is that the purpose of the Second amendment is to ensure that the central government complies with the Constitution and all of other rights and liberties protected by the Bill of Rights and subsequent amendments,” said Brooks.

“As a general rule, I have no intention of preventing mentally competent, law-abiding citizens from owning such weapons as are in conformity with our founding fathers 2nd Amendment purpose.”

Brooks said he didn’t think federal bans on different categories of weapons would become law. “I think it’s a dead issue in the House, but I could be wrong,” predicted Brooks.
Could be better but still pretty solid. He does a little dancing to protect the tenth but he is solid.

Page generated in 0.02172 seconds with 8 queries