Thread: Testing Rounds
View Single Post
Old December 14, 2010, 01:17 PM   #5
kraigwy

As a Side note;

The X-10 ring on the 200 yard reduced to 100 yards target the 10 ring is right at 3.3 inches in diameter. The X-Ring is 1.3 in in Dia.

So if you have a rifle capable of shooting 3 inches (MOA) you can clean the targets, the rest is up to your.

Don't get hung up on barrels when its the shooter.

An example, my DCM M1 barrel should be shot out. (I say DCM because I got it in the early 80s when CMP was DCM). I've shot the crap out of it. I've shot it in HP matches, and practice. I played with it when running sniper schools (we used the M1C/Ds), several times shooting it until the sap boiled out of the hand guard. And I have no ideal how many rounds were shot out of it before I got it.

It should be shot out. The throat erosion gage measures 8, gaging the muzzle tells me I should have 37% barrel life left. I don't clean the muzzle much.

Yesterday I took it out, took a careful tight prone position and shoot three 8 round groups. This "abused" rifle still shoots 2.5 inch groups.

So if I can't "clean" the targets in GSM matches, its me, These old work horses still shoot and shoot well.

Use either the reduced targets or the 200 yard targets. Just about any Garand with decent ammo is capable of cleaning the targets.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03283 seconds with 8 queries