View Single Post
Old July 4, 2010, 06:53 AM   #20
threegun

Quote:
The .45 is right at home in most self defense situations without added pressure and velocity. The +P ammunition in the .45 caliber produces noticeably higher recoil that I believe is unneeded and reduces accuracy in a quick-draw, quick-fire situation. Good ammunition is designed to expand at the velocity the bullet is designed to travel. If you're having trouble with a bullet expanding, you should rethink your ammo choice. I will agree that +P has a place, but saying the reason is that the standard pressure variety causes the projectile not to expand is faulty at best.
Big and slow is good, big and fast is better. If you and your equipment can handle it why not use any advantage?

Bullets are designed to expand into naked gelatin at xyz speed. Add a simple layer of clothing and consistent expansion is no longer a guarantee. Speed is our friend and +P has its place in the self defense wheel albeit small.

Quote:
If you're having trouble with a bullet expanding, you should rethink your ammo choice
Constant rethinking is precisely how I came to the conclusion that faster is better. I understand that not every bad guy is going to be a shirtless Floridian. I understand (especially after this winter even here in FL) that coats could slow and plug my bullet. Speed helps. Against the shirtless expansion is more violent. Against the coat wearer penetration is enhanced.

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries