View Single Post
Old January 24, 2014, 04:42 AM   #1
laea7777

.44 Magnum -P hollow point ammunition

Does anyone know of a cartridge that meets these criteria: .44 Magnum case with a jacketed hollow point bullet, preferably with a flat polymer plug, 200 - 240 grains, downloaded to subsonic levels 1000 - 1100 fps?

I currently load my Super Redhawk 7 1/2" for home defense with Hornady's Critical Defense .44 Special - 165 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 900 fps yielding 297 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. These statistics are based on tests out of a 2 1/2" barrel, according to Hornady's website. Though I'm probably getting considerably more velocity/energy with the longer barrel, when I test fired them, I was disappointed with my accuracy. Though it could've just been me, it might also be because these are designed for a short barrel. I typically shoot much more accurately with this gun with other loads (.44 magnum reloads, usually).

My reasoning for using this gun for home defense is that I think I would get sufficient stopping power with minimal muzzle flash and bang, using a long barrel with a larger caliber, low pressure, subsonic cartridge. The loads that I'm using, at least going by the 2 1/2" statistics, are substantially less powerful than what I want, but most .44 Magnum loads are too powerful for what I want.

What I am looking for is approximately a 220 - 240 grain bullet going 1000 fps, maybe 1100 fps out of a 7 1/2" barrel, yielding between 488 - 645 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Ideally, I would want an underpowered Magnum load, as opposed to a +P Special load, to avoid losing accuracy due to the bullet having to jump farther to get to the barrel and to minimize casing pressure. In other words, I am looking for a .44 Magnum -P.

Chuck Hawks has an article suggesting a similar load (200 gr, 1000 fps) for varmint hunting, but I'm not set up for reloading and most people advise against using reloads for home defense.

I also like the Hornady Critical Defense concept of a hollow point with a flat polymer plug. It's just that their .44 Magnum is too powerful and their .44 Special is not powerful enough for what I want.

Thanks.

Page generated in 0.03625 seconds with 8 queries