Thread: FAL history
View Single Post
Old November 24, 2000, 09:27 AM   #9
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gary,
Don't think I've even seen one for sale in the last year or so but as I recall, the last one I did see was over 2k. Didn't get to Knob Creek this past fall so couldn't check out the latest pricing (pricing is usually a little higher at the Creek but it is available then and there). There is a price difference between the early ones and the later ones. Can't recall offhand what the difference is between them though. If it's anywhere near a deal, you might want to grab it while you can.

Steve,
Yours, I believe, is a kit gun using an Entreprise receiver. Probably an older Entreprise receiver at that. IIRC newer Entreprises don't even have a provision for FA. Did you buy it new or used? If you bought it new recently it should already have the USA-legal parts in it. The easiest way to tell is usually by the cocking knob. Is it an aluminuim knob? That is a USA-legal part. If it has one of the original cocking handles then most likely the other parts are also original surplus parts also. The StG-58 is the Austrian version of the FAL. They are considered the best parts kits around usually. Many people don't like the handguards though , what with the bipod and the excess weight of the metal guards. The StG-58 is a metric assembly so parts should be relatively easy to acquire. Where the buttstock meets the receiver it should also be a straight vertical matchup. That would mean that your lower receiver is also metric. If there is a hump on the bottom part of the vertical then you have an inch lower receiver. Not too much of a problem but remember while receiver groups can be interchanged (metric lower on an inch upper etc) individual parts within the receivers cannot be interchanged (metric pistolgrip on inch receiver etc).
The markings on the barrel are the caliber markings and the proof markings. The ELG etc is a Belgian proof marking, confirming that the barrel is Belgian manufactured. (IIRC all StG-58s were Belgian manufactured). Don't recall offhand but I believe the markings near the selector lever are only assembly numbers.
Let us know if you have any other specific questions.

Page generated in 0.02434 seconds with 8 queries