View Single Post
Old August 31, 2008, 05:28 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lack of official education disclaimer... *I am just a red neck utilitarian with a survival mindset...

Got the legal stuff out of the way.
IMHO Ya'll have hit the points on the head. I can only expound a bit.
Training... City guys with a career mind set and lack of training.
LAPD... A city agency with the aforementioned lawyers and politics.
Weaponry and ammo... Severely limited by above lawyers and politics.
Bad guys... Trained, armed and unhindered by rules of law or rules of engagement... And they intended to win and survive.

Lookin' at the most rural of LEA's I see both benefits and deficits.
The only deficits I see are lack of man power (not normally needed) and lack of infrastructure technology in some cases (simply too expensive for the smallest forces), Of these not the least is limited radio range and no cell phone signal for backup calls.

Benefits are NUMEROUS.
Limited manpower (yes it is a benefit too) leaves less guys to teach and train.
The smaller force often requires the officer to supply their own weapons. This means they are unfettered by dept. bean counters and since self supplied some legal responsibility is removed from the dept. The officer gets to choose weapons they are familiar and comfortable with.
Lack of infrastructure technology is a point of interest as the officer KNOWS he is alone out there much of the time thus imparting a heightened state of awareness and self reliance and accountability.
Last I can think of is these smaller forces tend to have very stable officers capable of judicial discretion and allowed to think for them self. These same officers are often avid hunters and shooters who self train all year with thousands of rounds compared to the 25 or 50 shots many big city officers fire each year.
Hope I wasn't too off base...
Brent

Page generated in 0.03144 seconds with 8 queries