View Single Post
Old June 25, 2019, 12:37 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
just bought "The Blue Book for Guns" so he can shove it in the face of the seller and show them how much they are kidding themselves.
there is another side to this coin. The Blue Book has been a standard GENERAL reference for generations. It is useful, but it is not (and never was) Holy Writ.

First, the prices are at least a year, and sometimes two or more out of date. This comes from the pre-electronic era when it took more than a few mouseclicks to gather the data, and then published. The other thing is there was, and still is regional market differences. Less so today with the Internet allowing shopping all over, and tending to level regional price differences, but they still exist for many guns, simply due to their popularity in various local areas.

The other side of the coin I mentioned is sellers who think that every piece of dreck they have is worth full "book value". I've seen this a lot, as well.

Seen guns sit and sit, show after show, because the guy thinks he has to have "book value" and no body is willing to pay that much for what he has.

Every old gun is NOT a valuable rare antique. It MAY be, or it may just be old junk no one wants anymore. Simply put, collectable (anything) firearms are only valuable and collectable if someone WANTS them. A gun featured in a popular movie may get a sudden boost with people wanting them that never before did, and willing to pay above market rate to get one.

One of the most famous examples was the S&W M29 Dirty Harry "syndrome". S&W had been making the gun since the later 1950s, and sales were steady enough, but not huge. Dirty Harry (71) changed that. Almost overnight everyone wanted one. S&W would sell you one, for the MSRP of $238.50, but you had to wait your turn and S&W had so many orders the backlog was over two years in the mid 70s. So the market did what it always does, supply and demand capitalism. I watched a friend of mine buy a nickel 6" M29 in 76, and happily paid the demanded $450 when the MSRP was $238.50, because that price got him his gun TODAY not two years+ from now.

SO, is ANY M44 worth $700? not to me, but then I had more than a few (and the better M38) for $75 in ages past. Sold my last one a few years ago for $450. If I still had it today, I'd happily sell it for $650, if you were foolish enough to pay that.

Page generated in 0.04059 seconds with 8 queries