View Single Post
Old September 19, 2019, 01:59 PM   #1
seanc

Mini CZ 527 7.62x39 range session report

There's many great CZ 527 reviews out there, this is just a supplemental to all of those on a few issues I noticed that weren't covered in the other reviews.

Confirmation:
1. As just about all the other reviews have stated, the darn thing is accurate with either steel or brass cased ammo, maybe even better with steel.
2. The Turkish walnut is beautiful.
3. The trigger pull is perfect. The set trigger is an accident waiting to happen. Good thing the standard trigger is excellent and the set trigger really isn't needed.
4. Just a pleasure to shoot: Accurate, Smooth trigger and bolt, Readily points to aim, Mild recoil, Cheap ammo means you can enjoy it as long as you like.

My observations on this rifle with the youth stock (3/4" shorter LOP than standard stock):
1. The iron sights sit way too low. I beat the crap out of my cheek on the 1st range session. It's a must to scope it or change the irons.
2. These rifles beg to be scoped. After putting on medium height Burris scope rings and a temporary, cheap, POS UTG scope, no more cheek slap and accuracy was confirmed. At 100 yards, had may 3-hole groups (5 rounds) around 1 1/2" with the fat crosshairs on the UTG scope that complete obscured the aimpoint. This rifle has proven itself worthy and will be getting a better scope.
3. Other reviews have mentioned that the thin barrel can walk a little. When I was slow firing at 100 yards from the bench, I found this a little, but not as bad as MAC found. I slow fired to try to keep the barrel as cool as possible and had decent groups, but even when I pushed my rate of fire, group size really didn't grow that much and seemed more my mistakes than the rifles for any bad shots. At 25 yards, we shot as fast as we could reload and the barrel was just shy of smokin and we were getting good offhand groups.
4. All ammo worked well except Winchester which gave me 2 rounds that just wouldn't fire out of 10. That box was at least 10 years old, but so was some of the PPU and Brown Bear I was shooting too, if not older. Golden Tiger gave the best groups closely followed by PPU RNSP, then Hornady SST Black Box tied with Brown Bear. The PPU was also the hottest shooting.

Last night's local 25 yard range session with my son for some offhand shooting was a blast. Mostly 2" groups (offhand, 25 yards...), some smaller but there was always 1 that boogered the 5 shot group that usually looked like 3 shot groups (only 3 holes). Always that last shot dropping below the others.

No pictures, but this did happen. I just got this rifle for my son to hunt with (and me) and it's seen about 200+ rounds in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully this weekend it'll take it's 1st deer (my K31 has dibs).

Page generated in 0.03197 seconds with 8 queries