View Single Post
Old November 10, 2017, 07:58 PM   #61
SA1911

The genius of Remington's Model 700 is that it allowed working men opportunity to buy an excellent quality factory production rifle at a price they could afford. It allowed many hunters to own an excellent quality rifle with which they could enjoy hunting. Remington's Model 700 made the sport of kings available to everyone who wanted to hunt big game.

My first big game rifle was a Model 700 .270 Win. I bought it brand spanking new some 44 years ago. It'll still shoot .25" at a hundred with hand loaded hunting ammo, not tricked out target stuff. I use the standard .270 Win load of W-W brass, Fed 210M or CCI 200 primers, 60 grains of H-4831, and 130 grain GameKings. Mule deer drop in their tracks with this rifle and load. If I'm drawn for a once-in-a-lifetime desert bighorn tag this year, I'll kill a ram with my model 700 .270 Win with the aforementioned load.

Two of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired were Model 700's.

I've hunted the Rockies taking only my Model 700. I never thought about a back-up rifle.

I've read 'net reviews that Remington's quality has slipped. I hope they're just rumors.

I do own a couple Sako AV rifles. They'll shoot very tiny groups. If were talking reliability and accuracy, Sako might not have anything on a Model 700. However, Sako has a feel of quality that I cannot describe. I don't need another rifle, but were I to find a Sako carbine in .308 Win or a Finnwolf in .308 Win, I'm sure that it would become my primary hunting rifle.

Page generated in 0.02021 seconds with 8 queries