View Single Post
Old March 20, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Paul105

Price depends on how soon and how bad you want one and how comfortable you are with the deal/seller/transaction.
Freedom Arms .454s are the most common FA available. I haven't checked recently, but before all the madness, you could find FA .454s (even premier grades) for well under $1,600 and often with accessories. Check gunbroker and other online auction sites if price is your main concern.
You might also find out when it was made and determine if it has the current replaceable firing pin feature (get the serial number and call FA they will confirm). If shot a lot or dry fired, FAs can be prone to broken firing pins (no big deal if gun has replaceable firing pin feature).
For me, the grip frame on FA model 83s (and 97s) handle recoil better than any other platform, single or double action.
I have a 6" Field Grade .454 that I bought in the late 90s. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. I had it retrofitted with replaceable firing pin and a .45 Colt cylinder.
The middle diamond on the pictured target is 5 shots with that gun -- accuracy has been verified on several occasions. I've also shot 3 shot groups at 100 yds that measure 2 to 3 inches with that load using 4x Leup. A better shot could certainly improve on that.

FWIW,
Paul

Last edited by Paul105; March 20, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.03094 seconds with 8 queries